water restrictions frequently asked questions

Water Restrictions ended September 30. Thank you for conserving and reserving. Please check back next Spring for details on water restrictions.

Abbotsford and Mission’s water restrictions follow four stages, which are tied to the level of Dickson Lake and Maclure Reservoir.

Dickson Lake is the main source of drinking water for both communities. As the level of our lake gets lower, our restrictions get higher!

Get to know the stages of the Abbotsford Mission Water Shortage Response Plan.

Who is affected by the watering restrictions?

All Abbotsford and Mission residents and businesses receiving water from the municipal system, including City operations, must comply with watering restrictions according to the bylaw. Residents supplied by private wells and residents of the Clearbrook Waterworks District are exempt.

back to top

Why are watering restrictions so important?

Due to high peak water demands in the summer, the AMWSC implements water restrictions each year. Last year our peak demand was not as high as previous years, but due to the hot, dry summer and lack of snowpack, Dickson Lake level entered Stage 3 of the Water Shortage Response Plan. Watering restrictions help ensure that Abbotsford and Mission residents continue to have a high quality water supply capable of supporting a growing population.

back to top

If we are experiencing outdoor water restrictions, is our drinking water safe?

Yes, the treated water from your tap is as safe to drink as usual. When a water shortage is announced, we are experiencing difficulties producing the volume of water necessary to meet all of Abbotsford and Mission needs. It does not indicate that your water quality has deteriorated in any way.

back to top

During what months are the watering restrictions in effect?

From May 1 to September 30

back to top

How are watering restrictions enforced?

Abbotsford and Mission both enforce the watering restrictions. The fines are as follows:
Violate Stage One Water Restrictions - $100
Violate Stage Two Water Restrictions - $150
Violate Stage Three Water Restrictions - $200
Violate Stage Four Water Restrictions - $300

back to top

Who do I call if my neighbour is not complying with watering restrictions?

If you know your neighbour you may first want to ensure they are aware of the outdoor lawn sprinkling restrictions. Otherwise, call 604-864-5514 in Abbotsford or email waterrestrictions@abbotsford.ca and in Mission call 604-820-3761 or email pworksadmin@mission.ca.

back to top

I live in a townhouse, what days am I permitted to water?

In townhouses and other complexes, you determine your watering day based on your complex address number and not your unit number.

back to top

Are residents who are away on their assigned watering day able to water their lawns on an alternate day?

No, residents are only allowed to water according to the assigned day of their municipal address. The alternative is to hire a contractor or ask a friend or neighbour to water their lawn for them during the approved times.

back to top

I leave for work early and won't be able to water. What can I do?

An inexpensive timer can be purchased at City Hall to use on your sprinkler which will turn off your sprinkler when you are gone.

back to top